Saturday, August 28, 2010

Review – Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
Bookdepository / Amazon UK / Amazon US
Librarything / Goodreads

Rating: 4 stars
Pages: 185
Genre: Young Adult (Contemporary/LGBT)

Summary: This is the story of Paul, a sophomore at a high school like no other: The cheerleaders ride Harleys, the homecoming queen used to be a guy named Daryl (she now prefers Infinite Darlene and is also the star quarterback), and the gay-straight alliance was formed to help the straight kids learn how to dance.

When Paul meets Noah, he thinks he’s found the one his heart is made for. Until he blows it.

Thoughts: This was a lovely book.  Short, sweet and, well, lovely.

When I bought Boy Meets Boy I was somewhat sceptical.  I wasn’t sure I would enjoy a book where the world was happy! with sunshine!and flowers! But, luckily, Levithan must have had the same thought.  Because although Paul’s high school is a gay kid’s dream come true – the rest of the world in the book is certainly not like that.  What Paul considers “normal” is a luxury to everyone else – including his new boyfriend Noah.  I think this scene between Noah and Paul kinda sums it up:
“Have you always known?” he asks.  I know immediately what he’s talking about.
“Pretty much so, yeah,” I answer.  “You?”
He nods, […].
“Has it been easy for you?”
“Yes,” I tell him, because it’s the truth.
“It hasn’t always been easy for me,” he says, then says no more.
- Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, pg. 49

So while watching Paul come to the realisation that dude, did he ever luck out – there is also plenty of drama without all that pesky coming-out business.  Guys can be idiots, even when they are dating other guys.  And just because you don’t have to worry about getting bashed doesn’t mean you can’t royally screw up.  Which Paul does.  Very successfully.

I was also very impressed by Levithan’s writing style.  This is a short novel, filled with a rich and diverse cast of characters – Levithan made each of them shine bright.  Not to mention his writing style is elegant as hell and some of his ideas are out of another world.  The book opens with the boys dancing on a night out – in a bookstore.  Honestly, how brilliant is that?



Bottom line? This is a lovely, elegant tale.  Short and sweet, I was loath to put it down.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so good! I love David Levithan's writing style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, great minds think alike as not only do we share a name, but I also posted my review of this book today! ;)
    I'm glad to see you enjoyed it too! You're right, the opening was brilliant and the story, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kay - Just after I posted this I saw your review! Glad you loved it too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to read this at some point. I've never read anything by David Levithan, and it sounds like a brilliant book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. Boy Meets Boy made me ridiculously happy. Love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...