Friday, January 6, 2012

The End is Year (The 2011 Challenge Wrap-up Post)

Another year, another bunch of not-so-completed challenges! 2011 will officially go down as the year that I didn't quite make it.

For starters, I only managed to read 63 books. That's eight less than last year! That just seems wrong... I feel like I should have either improved my "count" or at least stayed the same. While, yes, I know it is not about the numbers, I still feel like I missed out on a whole bunch of books this year because I just didn't have the time. This year? I will have to find the time.

In terms of challenges, I signed up to only four last year... and successfully completed one. For the second year running, I signed up for the Debut YA Author Challenge. I managed to read 9/12 debut novels - not bad! Unfortunately, quite a few of the debut books I read were duds. Not bad, per say, but not great. But, of course, some were fantastic - like Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor and Enclave by Ann Aguirre.

Then there was the A-Z Challenge, which I can't say I really participated in. Even though I updated the list with the books I'd read, I didn't go out of my way to read books that started with letters I hadn't read. I thought that the challenge might get me to read books I wouldn't have otherwise... but it didn't.

I also signed up for the Off the Shelf Challenge, in which I had to read 50 books I already owned. I didn't do too badly, reading 31 novels that had been on my shelves the year before. In fact, now that I think of that, I'm rather proud of my 31 books!

One challenge I did complete this year was the TBR Newbies Mini-Challenge. I have always enjoyed the New Author Mini Challenges held by Literary Escapism, and this one was no exception! The challenge got me to read books by Naomi Novik, Suzanne Collins and Alan Brennert - all of whom made my Top Ten list of the year. I think I might actually sign up for the New Authors challenge this year, seeing how well I've been doing with the mini-challenges...

And that's all for 2011. I'll be summing up my reading resolutions for 2012 sometime tomorrow... they should look something like this:
  1. Read books.
  2. Read good books.
  3. Read excellent books.
  4. DNF bad books.

1 comment:

  1. I finished some of my 2011 challenges, and others fell by the wayside. I've decided to forego any community challenges this year. I'm aiming for 75 books read and reviewed, and with any luck I should be able to get 100 books read instead, much like last year. Maybe in 2013 I'll return to doing some more community reading challenges again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...