Thursday, April 14, 2011

New Author Mini-Challenge: TBR Newbies

I absolutely adore Jackie's mini-challenges over at Literary Escapism. Last year I completed, not one, but two of them. They actually make me read new authors, as opposed to just planning on reading new authors. The latest and greatest one that Jackie is hosting is the TBR Newbies challenge, focusing on reading those novels you bought, with the intention of trying a new author, but haven’t had the chance to yet.

I have a ton of books like that - in fact, I think I have such a large TBR stack because I never finish a book so end up buying debut novels or first in a series because I'm afraid to buy book 2 in a series I won't like!

This challenge is a wee-bit different to the usual mini-challenges. Instead of going over a single month, the challenge begins April 15th and ends May 31st. Not just that, the aim is to read six new authors and review them all!

Now, I have exams coming up in mid-June which will obviously have to come first. But I am really hoping that I can complete this challenge in my (limited) spare time.


Here's my planned TBR pile:
  • Wicked Game by Jeri Smith Ready
  • Moloka'i by Alan Brennert - Read and Reviewed!
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Read and Reviewed!
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley - Read and Reviewed!
  • Siren by Tricia Rayburn (2011 Debut Author)
  • Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011 Debut Author) - DNF
Unexpected additions:
  • Temeraire by Naomi Novik - Read and Reviewed! (this one just made the cut, as I bought it the 12th!)
  • Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch - Read and Reviewed!
  • The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu - Read and Reviewed!
*stares at pile*  If you haven't signed up for one of these min-challenges before... well, I'd highly recommend them!  It's really great motivation to actually get some reading done!

01/06/2011 - Challenge complete!  I am rather stunned that I managed to get six new authors read for this challenge - especially considering how busy this past month has been.  My favourites of the lot: Temeraire by Naomi Novik and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...