Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review - Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4) by Richelle Mead
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Paranormal Young Adult

Rating: 4 stars
Pages: 493

Summary: How far will Rose go to keep her promise?

The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir’s Academy was the deadliest ever in the school’s history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers, and guardians alike. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them. . . including Dimitri.

He’d rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa—the one she has sworn to protect no matter what—and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most?

Thoughts: Richelle Mead is one of those authors that makes you desperate for a conclusion. So, I'll just come out and admit it... I read spoilers for Blood Promise before I'd even read Shadow Kissed (which, FYI, broke my heart into so many ickle pieces, I couldn't deal enough to write a review). I knew what was going to happen before I picked up both books - and I have a pretty clear idea about the last two books in the series as well. I just had to know. Emotionally, I just wouldn't have made it through this series without some warning of what was ahead.

So, despite having a pretty fair idea what would happen in this book, it still blew me away. I wondered how far Mead could take vigilante!Rose. I mean, the book is over 400 pages long and there's only so much angst a girl can handle. But as Rose makes her way through Russia, Mead takes the opportunity to introduce some fabulous new characters: including Sydney, who will be the star of the spin-off series.

Along with the painful Dimitri/Rose action - which kept a lump in my throat the whole time - there are about a dozen new plot lines that pop up in Blood Promise. For one thing, we got a look at a very different Moroi/Dhamphir society - the one Dimitri was raised in, and boy does that ever explain him. We also got a whole new insight into the twisted world of Strigolis, and introduced to a whole new branch of supernatural none of us had even known about. I adored all the new intrigue. When it really comes down to it, the Vampire Academy is all plot plot plot and it's fantastic.

On top of that, Rose went through some extraordinarily terrifying things in this book. Seriously, there's death and torture and blood and prostitutes. It's not stuff for weaklings, and even knowing how everything could turn out did not comfort me! Rose proved to be stronger than I think humanly possible. I couldn't help but be proud of this girl for keeping herself together, both physically and mentally.

On the less-positive side... I still don't see what Rose sees in Lissa. I find her rather bland and continue to only be interested in her because of her friendship with our leading lady. I also don't get the fuss over Adrian. He seems a perfectly all right guy, but that's it. I guess he's a great rebound... but I found his woe-is-me business is extremely unattractive.


Bottom line?  I loved this book for its angsty, plotty goodness.  In case you haven't heard, the Vampire Academy series is a Must. Read.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite books in the series. It was an emotional read. Because I read a description of this book before I started the series, like you I knew what was coming when I read Shadow Kissed but that didn't lessen the impact one bit. Great review! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. It is definitely my favorite vampire fiction series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...