Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review - Heist Society by Ally Carter

Heist Society by Ally Carter
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Contemporary Young Adult

Rating: 4.5 stars
Pages: 352
Publisher: Hatchette Children's Books (UK), Hyperion (US)

Summary: When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre... to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria... to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster's art collection has been stolen, and he wants it returned. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat's dad needs her help.

For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's (very crooked) history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.

Great for fans of: Leverage (TV) and White Collar (TV).

Thoughts: Even though this is the first Ally Carter book I've ever read, I've been a fan of hers for eons. I like her blog, her twitter and, just, the fact that she went out and pitched "I've got a book about teenage thieves a-la-Ocean's-Eleven, but with a proper gender distribution" to a publisher. And then I loved the fact that people went out and bought it.

So, when I picked up Heist Society, I knew I would enjoy it. What I did not expect was the four-hour reading marathon that would ensue as soon as I picked it up.

I didn't just "like" it. I loved it.

Ally Carter has a writing style that is deceptively simple. She jumps from country to country, character to character, scene to scene, with the skill of a professional storyteller. She manages to weave in the main character's complex back story (complete with heists, a dead parent and billionaire BFFs) into an already-tricky heist plot. Ally Carter shows and doesn't tell. Colour me impressed.

As for her characters, all I can say is: L-O-V-E. I was skeptical at first that there would be any emotional depth to this book... but there is. Lots of it. The main character is a tough, smart, savvy girl, but she is still damaged in a way that you can relate to. She's not perfect, but she's is trying really damn hard. I absolutely adored her.

Of course, the most important part of this novel is the heist. It had to be superb; it had to be believable; and it had to be pulled off by teenagers. A tall order, but one that Ally Carter met with flying colours. I won't give anything away, but suffice to say that she succeeded!


Bottom line? Heist Society is a smart, slick, and surprisingly-moving novel. Pick it up!

Note about the UK edition: There were a number of unfortunate typos in my copy. Usually this really pisses me off, but I was too distracted by the genius of the writing to fuss too much. Hopefully this will be something that's cleared up in the next printing.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm.... after the intense love affair I had with the last Gallagher Girls book I just read, I was seriously wondering if I should try the Heist Society books. Your review pretty much tipped the scales in its favour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review (a few weeks ago?) of one of the Gallagher books and thought "wow, I need to read that". The Heist Society books always appealed to me more, but now I am starting to think that Carter is just a genius.

      Glad I nudged you towards Heist Society - it's awesome. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this series - I need to get the next one asap! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This series is rather awesome - SO glad I stumbled into it. ;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...