Saturday, February 16, 2013

A BetterWorldBooks Haul/Love letter


Betterworldbooks have been on my radar for a couple of years but, for some unknown reason, I'd never gotten around to ordering anything from them. They are an awesome company that rescue books from landfills and then resell them online (with free international shipping). They give a lot of their profits to literacy campaigns so, on top of the knowledge that you've recycled a book, every purchase goes to promoting literacy worldwide. So when their 30% off New Year's sale (for 10+ books) came out, and I knew it was time to place an order!

I very methodically went through my goodreads wishlist and looked for books that I'd had on my list for a long while - and preferably books that had only been released in the US. All the books I ordered were former library books, so I selected only hardcovers, because I figured those would be in the best condition. (Although, annoyingly, two turned out to be paperback - both are in good condition, though.)

The total: 11 books for just over £35 ($55)!

A few days after I'd placed my order, I received what I consider to be the cutest confirmation email... ever. Take a look and then try to tell me they aren't brilliant:
Hello Kay,

(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

Eagerly awaiting our meeting,
[signed by my books]


So, here's what I picked up:
  1. Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey
  2. Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer
  3. Other by Karen Kincy
  4. The Rites and Wrongs of Janice Wills by Joanna Pearson
  5. Rose Sees Red by Cecil Castellucci
  6. Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell
  7. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
  8. A Golden Web by Barbara Quick
  9. The Agency: A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee
  10. Godless by Pete Hautman
  11. The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant
Despite the few paperbacks that got thrown into the mix, I am very happy about the quality of these books. Even though they were library copies which meant I did have to spend some time removing dust jackets (often making small tears the hardcover), I am super happy with the final results! The pages inside are spotless and (with dustjackets on) the books look almost new.

Thanks Betterworldbooks!

- One Happy Bunny

12 comments:

  1. Some great looking books there! I haven't heard of Betterworldbooks before but that sounds like an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give them a go! They often have deals on (15% off used books, at the moment) and the free worldwide shipping is just tooooo good. :)

      Delete
  2. I've checked out the site a few times but I've read some not so great reviews on the site so I avoided buying from them. You got a fantastic deal and I love the email you received, it's so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly worth checking out - so long as you go in prepared! If you want your books to be spotless, I don't think betterworldbooks is the right place - but if you don't mind peeling off stickers, plastic and whatnot, then it's great!

      I also felt rather satisfied to be "saving" these books from landfills. They were kicked out of libraries across the US and were looking for new homes... which they found in Europe! ❤

      Delete
    2. I just came back from the site and ordered 4 books, those books were on my wishlist for quite some time but I couldn't buy them due to price. I was surprised at how good the deals were and now I'm tempted to buy more! xD

      I don't mind my books being spotted and a little old, even used books are pricey where I live and I'm talking about falling apart books with ripped covers.

      I don't feel so guilty about breaking my book buying limit (I buy one book for every five I read) because it's going towards a good cause. Thank you! :)

      Delete
    3. I feel like such an enabler!! ... but in a really good way :D

      I think you'll be quite happy with the quality of the books - as for what's on the pages themselves, that's always a bit of a coin toss. ;)

      Delete
  3. I must look at this website-once I finish my book buying ban. They seem like a great idea-rescuing books. I was somewhere and someone who works in a charity shop said that after a few weeks on their shelves, it gets pulped. Great to see there's a website saving books from sad demises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty neat site - and what's actually impressive is that they are a for-profit business. I love the idea that an online bookstore can do this kind of charity work and while still turning a profit (I'm looking at you Amazon). :)

      Delete
  4. The near witch is really good! Thanks for sharing this website, I'm going to check it out :)

    Happy reading!
    Haul - Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on my wishlist for aaaaaages - I loved Victoria back when she was on the YA Rebels and have meant to read her book for ages! Glad you liked it. ;)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a fantastic idea and for used books the quality looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I've bought used books online before, and it's usually a bit of a coin toss. But, on the whole, I was really happy with the quality of the books I bought (especially considering they were all library books!). Give them a shot if you want to be brave. ;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...