Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review - The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Paranormal Young Adult

Rating: 5 stars
Pages: 359

Summary: Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

Thoughts: I'll admit it, I almost didn't want to read this book. I was such a huge fan of the Darkest Powers series and was pretty terrified that this newest trilogy wouldn't live up to my expectations. And while it is certainly not as fierce as The Awakening or The Reckoning, I'd say it is definantly the first book in a fantastic new Kelley Armstrong series.

Let's start off with our new heroine, Maya. For starters, she's a lot more experienced than Chloe - she's confident in all sorts of social situations, with guys, and holds no prisoners even when speaking to her parents. Even though Chloe could certainly stand up for herself, Maya let's no one think she can't handle herself. This is a girl who can - literally - scare off a cougar... she's awesome. And just because she's tough, it doesn't make her mean. Yeah, she has quite a few defense mechanisms in place to stop from getting emotionally hurt, but she isn't bitchy in the least.

I also adored Maya's relationship with her adoptive parents. Armstrong avoids all the parental YA tropes! If you want to read a realistic, loving relationship between two parents and their daughter, then read The Gathering. In fact, Armstrong gets an A+ for all characters in this novel. Love interest Rafe was fabulous. Slightly twisted by circumstance, but fundamentally a good guy. Reminded me of Derek despite being nothing at all like Derek. In fact, this entire book reminded me of its predecessor trilogy despite being very, very different...

Then there's the plot. Although the book left me going "what! that's it! I need MORE!", it is by no means lacking in substance. While those of us who have read the Darkest Powers trilogy might see a couple of clues that first-time Armstrong fans will not, by the end of the book, I'm certain you'll be just as mystified as everyone else. After I finished The Gathering, I filled my Books Moleskine with over a dozen questions I wanted answered asap. I wasn't sure what side I should be on, I didn't know who the bad guys were, and I sure didn't know whether or not Maya was making the right decision. All the same thoughts/feelings I had after reading The Summoning!

Guh.

Ok, so I tried and failed to review this book without mentioning the first trilogy... but read that as the compliment it is meant to be!



Bottom line? Kelley Armstrong can do no wrong. Read this. Now.

1 comment:

  1. Ii just finished this one last week and am going to be on pins and needles waiting for the next book in this awesome series. I loved Maya and her family, and adore Daniel. The plot was original and action packed. Really, there is nothing about Armstrong's book that is not to love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...