Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review - Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk

Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom #2) by Devon Monk 
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Received for review from publishers

Rating: 3 stars
Pages: 358
Publisher: Berkley UK

Summary: Working as a Hound-tracing illegal spells back to their casters-has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn't about to quit. Then the police's magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic.

Review: My memory of the first Allie Beckstorm novel is the following: Allie takes a lot of cabs, forgets things, and is in love with some guy who I wouldn't know from Adam. The book left me with a shrug and a vague feeling of disappointment. It wasn't bad - it was actually pretty well written - but it didn't make me want to run out and get the sequel. So when I received the sequel for review, I waited until my memory of the first book was well-aged so that I could give the series a fresh start. Alas, Magic in the Blood was more of the same.

The Allie Beckstorm series seems to be rather episodic: there's a crime, someone is called in, it must be sorted out. On top of that, there are a bunch of series arcs that play out: namely, Allie dealing with the aftermath of her father's death, and her "boyfriend"'s bizarre magical powers. You'd think that this developed backstory would give depth to the episodic story... but it just made it worse. Because it is hard to care about characters you find illogical, frustrating and underdeveloped.

My primary issues were with Allie's inability to look after herself and her "boyfriend" Zayvion. Let's start with Allie: the girl doesn't have a car and lives in a city without decent public transport. So, she takes cabs. That would be fine if she were living in New York City where there is a cab on every corner, but she's not. OK, so she can always call a cab, right? Wrong. Apparently cell phones break when she carries them due to... I dunno... magical interference or some such nonsense. Fine. (Except, no, really not fine - I've never seen such an obvious plot device in my life.) What all this boils down to is her taking cabs out to meet extremely dangerous people in isolated places without an escape route in place. Which just... NO! How on earth are we supposed to find this believable?

There are other examples I can give - namely, her insistance on using magic for mundane tasks even though she knows she'll get a horrendous magical "hangover". It defies logic and frustrates my belief in, well, humanity.

As for Zayvion... well, I'd say "the less time spent on him the better" but that seems to be the attitude the author has taken. It's been two books and I feel like we know nothing about him. As such, it makes any emotional relationship between him and Allie implausible. Add to that the fact that the few things we did learn about him in the first book Allie has forgotten and suddenly we're moving into the "that can't possibly be real" arena.

Now, let me repeat: this series is not bad. Nor is it terribly written (although I did spot some grammatical errors and a few typos in the UK edition, and an overabundance of "Holy Shit"s). But it is episodic and stars characters I either actively dislike or find peskily illogical/stupid. Had the writing not been as solid as it was, this book would have gotten a much lower rating.

Bottom line? This is the NCIS of the Urban Fantasy world. Not bad, but not a series I'll be continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...