Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review - Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris

Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse #5) by Charlaine Harris
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Urban Rural Fantasy

Rating: 3 stars
Pages: 295

Summary: Sookie's got just a month, before the next full moon, to find out who wants her brother dead - and to stop the fiend! Sookie Stackhouse enjoys her life, mostly. She's a great cocktail waitress in a fun bar; she has a love life, albeit a bit complicated, and most people have come to terms with her telepathy. The problem is, Sookie wants a quiet life - but things just seem to happen to her and her friends. Now her brother Jason's eyes are starting to change: he's about to turn into a were-panther for the first time.

She can deal with that, but her normal sisterly concern turns to cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local changeling population. She afraid not just because Jason's at risk, but because his new were-brethren suspect Jason may be the shooter. Sookie has until the next full moon to find out who's behind the attacks - unless the killer decides to find her first.

Thoughts: I am an ex-True Blood fan. While I am grateful for the series as it got me to pick up the Sookie Stackhouse series, I don't watch it any more. It is brash and crass and just a bit too crazy - qualities that are fantastic in the short term, but painful after 4 long years.

But the Sookie books are nothing like True Blood - a fact that always comes to me as a shocking realisation whenever I pick up a new Sookie book. Dead as a Doornail is just like its predecessors: sweet, comforting and very Southern. If these books were food, they'd be a series of Red Velvet cupcakes... providing serious southern comfort while looking like blood.

Yup. Sookie Stackhouse novels = literary equivalent of Red Velvet.

So, of course, Dead as a Doornail was a pleasure to read. I curled up with it and was happy reading about both Sookie's car troubles and her weird paranormal problems. It was a sweet, escapist read - and I will certainly be reading more books in the series. But did it keep me on my toes? Nope. Did it have me dying to read the next page? Nope. Did I feel any of the emotional ups-and-downs of reading a good book? Not once.

Why is that? Well, Dead as a Doornail is a bog-standard mystery with vampires and werewolves thrown in. Problem was that this particular mystery had no bite to it. By the time of the big reveal, my sole reaction was "huh". Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Alongside the mystery was Sookie's ludicrous love life. She has FIVE men chasing after her in this book - three of whom she kisses in this short book. Oh, and as if those five weren't enough, Love Interest #6 makes his debut at the end of the novel. Seriously? I mean, if I were taking these books seriously (thank God I'm not) I would be quite pissed off by this flip-flopping.


Bottom line? This is an enjoyable series, but Dead as a Doornail is far from brilliant. If you don't take the plot too seriously, you'll probably enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. I never imagined I could get into vampire stories but due to the Trueblood series on HBO I jumped right into the world of the undead.Charlaine Harris is a wonderful writer as each book brings in a new and exciting character with twists and turns. I look forward to each and every new installment with much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...