Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Book Notes: Scandals and Signings and Shakespeare, oh my!

Book Notes highlights bookish news, reviews, curiosities and gossip spotted across the blogosphere. May the drama be with you...
De-Gay YA
When I heard the news that a well-respected agency tried to get two authors to "de-gay" their YA novel, I can't say I was shocked. In fact, what surprised me was that the authors had come out and told their story to the mainstream press. I am sure this kind of thing goes on all the time, we just never hear about it... And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, the agency came out denying everything. Which is certainly a new crisis management technique! Aja gives you the full scoop (and a very healthy rant) in her article in The Mary Sue. Read it!

New author deals
In other, less terrifying news, there have been some pretty brilliant new deals signed between authors and their publishers. Here are the ones I am particularly excited about:
  • Historical Fiction writer Phillipa Gregory has signed with Simon and Schuster to write 4 YA Historical Fiction novels. The first will be published in summer 2012. I've never read any of Gregory's work, but it is exciting to have her in the genre! More on Dark Faerie Tales.
  • Dark Life author Kat Falls will be publishing a dystopian romance trilogy with Scholastic. The first book, The Fetch, will be out in autumn 2012. I loved Dark Life, so I am really looking forward to what else Kat comes up with. More on Presenting Lenore.
  • One of my favourite authors, Ann Aguirre, will be publishing an all-new science fiction trilogy with Ace. The books have been pitched as "prison break - in space", so needless to say that I am desperate to read them! They'll be out in autumn 2013. More on Ann Aguirre's website
  • Rag & Bones is a new YA anthology, edited by Melissa Marr and Tim Pratt, that will feature a whole bunch of my favourite authors. Among them: Kelley Armstrong! It is being published in 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (World). More on Tez Says.
New Covers
There are always new stunning and not-so-stunning covers coming out. But these are the ones that have really caught my eye:

 
  • Illuminate by Aimee Agresti - I know, another red dress. But the summary for this book is just so intriguing!
  • Insurgent by Veronica Roth - I haven't read Divergent and I really never planned to... but this cover is just so lovely! I am really tempted to pick up the first book in the series now! 
  • The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellsion - No idea what this is about, but I find the cover gorgeously spooky. It's Dexter meets butterflies...

 
  • Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - This cover is so spooky! Maybe I am developing a new love for somewhat terrifying things, because I just find this cover amazing.
  • If I Die by Rachel Vincent - I have but one word: F-I-E-R-C-E. 

UK Signings!
Some big names are coming to the UK. Some seriously, seriously big names! I really hope y'all can make some of these great signings:
  • Christopher Paolini will be at Forbidden Planet on Wednesday 28 September! Christopher Paolini will be signing the first three volumes of The Inheritance Cycle at the Forbidden Planet Megastore. The signing is a lead-up to the publication of the final book in the cycle. I tried to read Christopher's books, but they aren't for me. Even still, I find the story of his publication extremely inspiring! For more information about this signing, see the Forbidden Planet website
  • Erin Morgenstern, author of the highly anticipated The Night Circus will be discussing her fin-de-siècle fantasia of magic and mischief at Foyles in Bristol, Monday 10 October. I have been dying to read this book - so it's extremely exciting that the author is coming to the UK! Read more here.
  • Peter F Hamilton will be signing his short story collection Manhattan in Reverse at the Forbidden Planet Megastore on Thursday 6 October. While I haven't had the chance to read any of Peter's works yet, he is an absolute rock star in the SF genre!More details on the Forbidden Planet website.
  • Christopher Priest, the multiple award-winning fantasy/SF/horror author will be at London Foyles not once, but twice! He'll be in the Gallery discussing his career and new book, The Islanders, on 29 September. Read more here. And then he'll be back for the "House of Fear" event along with Sarah Pinborough and Paul Meloy. Read more here.
  • Moira Young and Philip Reeve will be doing a joint chat in Guildhall, Bath on Sunday, 25 September. Tickets are £5, but I am sure the event will be unforgettable! More information is available on the Waterstones website.
The waters of the Avon...
And last but not least, Oxford Dictionaires has a great new online test for you all... How Shakespearean are you? You just stick a bit of your own writing into a box, and they give you a verdict. Apparently my English is 81 percent Shakespearean. "The waters of the Avon almost lap at your feet."
Give it a go!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't hear about the issue with de-gaying the story. I will have to go read the article so I can be in the loop. That's sad, but for them it's all about dollars. thanks for sharing the news.

    I love all the covers except Illuminate. It's kinda cliche now, so many out just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le sigh...you would think people would be over this stuff by now. Asking an author to de-gay there book is just stupid and insensitive. Uh, I'll have to go check out the article. Great information you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I've been meaning to read Philippa Gregory's books but now I think I'll wait until her YA series comes out. :)

    Oh, I love Philip Reeve! I wish he came to the US to do an event.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...