Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBAW: How blogging has changed my book shelf!

So, it is day 4 of BBAW and today's topic for discussion has us looking at our reading habits (and how they've changed!).
Book bloggers blog because we love reading. Has book blogging changed the way you read? Have you discovered books you never would have apart from book blogging? How has book blogging affected your book acquisition habits? Have you made new connections with other readers because of book blogging?

Book blogging has completely and utterly changed what I read. I actually started a general book blog (Stuck in a book) way back in 2006/2007 and I never really got into it. I think that was because the book blogging community was so underdeveloped at the time, but I am not all that sure.

But a few years later I read The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong and thought "I need to find more of like this". I wasn't looking for YA novels, I wasn't even really looking for more Urban Fantasy or Science Fiction... but that is what I found online. And as soon as I started following YA and UF blogs, I started going out and buying them. Hell, I hadn't even known these genres existed until I started reading book blogs!

So, really, pretty much everything I read is because of blogging. It's not just that there are specific books I wouldn't have picked up without reading blogs - there are entire genres I wouldn't have picked up without blogs! Nowadays, it is extremely rare for me to go out and buy a book without hearing about it first on the blogosphere.

There are a few books I would like to highlight, though. I never would have picked these up if I hadn't read about them online - and I am so very very very glad that I did!

 

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (I didn't actually like the first book in this series, but it is now one of my very favourites!)

  

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Book blogging also got me "out on the streets" meeting other book bloggers. I usually break out in hives at the thought of meeting someone off the internet... it just sounds inherently dirty. But, for the blogging community, apparently I will do all sorts of strange and unexpected things! I have loved meeting other book bloggers - it is just such an indescribably great feeling to meet other people who love books the way you do!

I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's answers to these questions!

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree. I've picked up several books I probably wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise. The book blogging community is great. And can introduce you to thing you've never experienced or read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of books I would never even have read because of bloggers... It makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red-Headed Stepchild is one of my favorite beginning to an urban fantasy series and one I definitely wouldn't have picked up on my own but did thanks to blogging. Now Jaye Wells is on my MUST READ list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, I read The Summoning (and the next two books) last month and it was SO GOOD. And though I haven't read Poison Study I HAVE read Storm Glass-- another really good book! And I read both of them because of book bloggers, haha. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...