Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Bookdepository / Amazon UK / Amazon US
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Dystopia Young Adult
Received for review from Hodder & Stoughton

Rating: 4 stars
Pages: 441

Summary: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Thoughts: I read a number of reviews for Delirium before writing mine, and was surprised by the diverse reaction. There are a ton of glowing reviews out there, a few "I don't get the fuss" reviews, and a some "this is just a bad book" reviews. And each and every review I've read - across the spectrum - I have agreed with. There are some themes are raised by the book that some people hated and others loved - it's just a matter of taste. You know when you really enjoyed a book when the negative reviews don't change your mind.

While I really enjoyed the plot and the characters and all of the over-arching themes explored in Delirium - it is Lauren's writing that makes this book a keeper.  Lauren just has such a soft, elegant style to her writing. She molds and shapes her words and sentences with stellar technique. The way she writes reminds me of Maggie Stiefvater: she writes lyrical books that make you want to draw hearts around paragraphs while you're reading.  Lauren understands love - not just romantic love, but family love - and her descriptions of the emotion are simply stunning.  This book made me re-examine the relationship I was in at the time, reminding me to appreciate love - and the delirium that accompanies it.

Even though I wasn't over-the-moon-in-love with all of the characters, I enjoyed their part in the story.  I went in expecting to read a straightforward forbidden romance, but what I ended up with was, well, something else altogether.  Delirium was romantic, but it was also so much more than that.  It was a book about the bonds we share with family, friends and even our pets.  Stunning stuff. Not to mention, it has a few pretty fantastic twists that I never saw coming.


Bottom line?  Go out and get yourselves a copy right now - especially if you are a fan of Linger or Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.  Delirium is a lovely, elegant novel that I'd recommend to even the most hesitant of readers.  And don't be put off by the doom-and-gloom you're rightly expecting - it's totally worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely, Kay. I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...