Thursday, June 24, 2010

Review - Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill
Bookdepository / Amazon UK / Amazon US
Librarything / Goodreads

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 368

Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary:  Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn’t exactly glamorous, but it was Merit’s. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker—and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she’s traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o’ the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries’ worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude—and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan’s attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone’s still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago’s nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood.

Thoughts: Some Girls Bite was so much fun!

I had high expectations from Chloe Neill after reading Firespell and she certainly lived up to them.  But before I start gushing, I'll admit that Some Girls Bite is not the perfect book.  The pacing is a bit off, and the villain's not all that scary.  But so many other things in this novel make up for that.

I loved the narrator Merit.  In terms of character, she is probably my favourite heroine... ever.  I just fell for her immediately, without having analyse why I liked her.  I just agreed and trusted all of her decisions.  I understood her love of academia, completely identified with her crazy daddy issues, and found her love interest, Ethan, just as frustrating she did.

While we're on the topic, let's talk about said "leading vamp" Ethan Sullivan.  340-years old, head of the Cadogan vampire fraternity house - and a complete douche.

Because it deserves repeating: Ethan is a serious douche.  He's demanding, exploitative, ruthlessly political, and distrusts anyone with the nerve to stand up to him.  In the words of Merit's BFF, he's "Darth Sullivan".  Even Merit had to remind him, "It isn't 1815!"  I don't care how gorgeous he is, he really needs to step up before he gets anywhere near a girl with self-respect.

But despite being a douche, Ethan is awesome.  Because him being a somewhat-misogynistic dictator?  It actually makes sense.  C'mon, people.  The guy was born 350 years ago and is used to people crawling at his feet in respect - of course, he expects the same from Merit!  Just because they have some sort of chemistry doesn't mean he will change.

That's not to say I don't want him to.  I really do hope Ethan steps up... at some point.  Merit is fierce, and totally deserving of a guy that appreciates her awesomeness.  And I hope that it's Ethan.  But until then, it is so refreshing to read about an ancient vampire who doesn't go: "Oh, you feisty 21st Century girls!  I've never met a woman with self-respect before - I must fall in love!"  Puh-leaze.

I've also discovered that Chloe Neill writes the best BFFs ever.  I loved the bond between Scout and Lily in Firespell, but Mallory and Merit might just beat them out in the BFF department.  Their conversations are the kind of funny that you can only have with someone who knows you well - they have that mix of comforting and hysterical.  And while they are both forced into this crazy new supernatural world, they are always there for each other - usually with a sarcastic quip, a pint of Chunky Monkey and a hug.  Awesome.


Bottom line?  I loved this book!  It's fun and funny with a touch of gratuitous violence.  I've already got Friday Night Bites on my TBR pile!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree she writes the best BFFs!! Scout and Lily are awesome...and Mallory..oh, love Mallory!!

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I enjoyed this one as well and have the sequel on the tbr shelf. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to order Friday Night Bites, but due to lack of funds (and laid off husband) I am holding out. But you're spot on about Chloe Neill writing the best BFFs! It's so true! I didn't think about it until you mentioned it.

    This book was a ton of fun and it's making it very difficult for me to wait to buy book two from the Book Depository!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethan is a jerk, but I so love him! She really does write the best bffs. I just adore this series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...