Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Night Time Reading and the week roundup


Hello fellow Saloners! Hope you are enjoying a nice day where ever you are, a cuppa in one hand, a book in the other!

I have spent the week sleep deprived. On average, I am getting about 4 hours a night, which is nowhere near enough. And the reason for this lack? I just love reading at night.

I can go through the day absolutely exhausted, semi-conscious and dieing to sleep. Then, evening comes, I get into bed absolutely exhausted and... spend 6 hours reading. Stupid, stupid me. It is not as if I have no time during the day to read, because I am on holiday after all, and no matter how much work I have to do, it pales in comparison to term time. So why do I do it?

Well, there is just something magical about reading at night. The darkness allows the door to be shut on reality, the time allows reading to be pursued without fear of interruption, the silence creates room only for the words on the pages... all in all, it is an experience worth the price of sleep deprivation.

This is especially the case with Horror and Fantasy. There is a darkness in those books that really fits well when reading them in actual darkness. I am almost finished with The Taste of Night by Vicki Pettersson, which is NOT a beach read in so many ways.

Read this week

Betrayed (House of Night Series #2) by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Really enjoyable book. I laughed, I cried - the whole shebang. Can not wait to review, except that that means I have to review Marked first. *sighs* A book that I had less than a positive reaction to.

Shopaholic Abroad (Shopaholic Series #2) by Sophie Kinsella
It took me a while to get into this book the way I did with Remember Me? and The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic - but when I did I loved it!



On the Nightstand

The Taste of Night (Sign of Zodiac #2) by Vicki Pettersson
Should finish this tonight. Not quite as great as her first book (The Scent of Shadows), but still excellent. An amazing universe that I always look forward to stepping into.

A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton
This took me about 100-odd pages to really get into, but now I am really enjoying it. Considering I am only 3 books into LKH's Anita series, reading such explicit sex by the same author was rather odd at first. I should have it finished this week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...